Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

*This review contains spoilers.*

In my tradition of reviewing classic literature for the casual reader, I read The Black Arrow Robert Louis Stevenson, who also wrote Treasure Island.

Essentially, it's the trials and tribulations of Richard Shelton, a young squire who is trying to avenge his father and rescue his love, Joanna, all while avoiding death at the hands of either Yorkists or Lancastrians during the tumultuous times of the Wars of the Roses.

The book had a decent pace, and I finished it fairly quickly for a non-contemporary novel. I really liked the Medieval feel the dialogue was given, though I could take or leave the author's habit of occasionally breaking the fourth wall to remind the reader of something.

The book was a lot of action and scheming, but there was some humor at the end, in the character of Alicia Risingham. I think her character was there for the comedic element, but I didn't really get the joke, so I didn't care for her or her sections of the book at all. At the beginning the love story fell flat for me, but towards the end, I really liked Richard/Joanna, especially how bold he was in openly declaring his feelings for her.

I also liked the history of the time period, and the way Stevenson put in Richard III in the end. However, if you're unfamiliar with Shakespeare of English history, a lot of the ending may be confusing for you.

I don't want to say that I didn't like the book, but I don't want to say I liked it either...it was okay, I suppose. There wasn't enough character depth for me to really, truly be invested in the character...I wanted Richard to win and get back Joanna because he's our protagonist, not because I felt for his plight.

I recommend picking this up only if you have nothing else to read and want to read something, or you really, really enjoy English history.

No comments:

Post a Comment