Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

*This review contains spoilers.*

This book is, of course, the sequel to Under the Never Sky which I read and adored last year! And now there's a sequel! And there's going to be a third one, called Into the Still Blue! YAY!

Since you've already read the first one, there's no need to tell you that this is amazing, but I'd like to mention a few things anyway, in case anyone has forgotten the utter genius of Veronica Rossi.

First off, this is one of those books where I can be reading it and think that no time at all has gone by, and then look at the clock and see it has been an hour and I've read a hundred pages. It's so immersive and seamless that I see the entire thing like a movie in my mind, completely unconscious of that. Veronica Rossi's prose is just inspired, literally...she's so good about everything - the setting is seared into your brain, but you never feel overloaded on description, you feel the characters' feelings, but you aren't bogged down with endless inner monologues...it's lush and sparse at the same time. It's like she's writing on pure talent and instinct or something...I can't even tell you why I'm so enamored with Ms. Rossi's style, but it's just fabulous, as always.

I also have to say, I enjoyed seeing characters I'd never thought would come back. I loved Marron, and it was nice to see him fitting in with the Tides and helping Perry. Also, Soren! I LOVED what she did with him.  Making his dad betray him, and then have him develop a rapport with Talon (the big softie! :) ) was so sweet and unique and I loved it.

Also, I adored the development of Cinder and Willow being a cute little thing. It was so cute how, after the storm, he was worried about her knowing what he was and seeing him like that, it just broke my heart. And Roar. Poor Roar. I'm indifferent on Liv, she was kind of a flash in the pan for me, but I was heartbroken for poor Roar, who I really liked a lot.

I was also totally enamored with the development of Aria and Perry's relationship. I liked the vulnerability Perry had as a Blood Lord, trying to save his people, feeling like Aria left him because he failed her. It was sweet and the trust issues that they had were very deftly handled. I fell in love with them as a couple even more in this novel than I did in the first. It was the kind of fictional coupling that makes your heart pound and your blood race, you know? I really, really cared for and felt for and loved Perry and Aria.

In short, this was an excellent read, and I continue to absolutely worship the literary talents of Veronica Rossi. I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment