Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Villette by Charlotte Bronte

*This review contains spoilers.*

I adore the Bronte sisters, so, in the tradition of reviewing classic literature for pleasure reading, I perused Charlotte's lesser known novel: Villette. If you don't know, Charlotte is my third favorite Bronte sister, but I was still expecting greatness because I did enjoy Jane Eyre, even if not as much as Wuthering Heights. 

I loved the character of Lucy Snowe very much. Her habit of being out of the way, the manner in which she never feels real, never feels like she partakes in life and instead sits aside and observes is so me it's scary. Believe me, I appreciate the passion and vivacity of Cathy and Heathcliff, or the pride and combattiveness of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, but I identify so much more with Lucy's character. For her alone, I recommend the book.

I also really enjoyed the  romance of John Graham Bretton and Paulina; it was adorable how it morphed from her childlike fascination to his adult infatuation.

Speaking of, how everyone kept turning up in each other's lives was marvelous and so beautifully done.

Also, the backstory and plotting around Paul Emmanuel, my God was that juicy! I mean, wow, I was floored at how intricate and mysterious it was.

I also found myself continually intrigued by the veins of Catholic vs. Protestant and French vs. English that came across in the novel, from a sociological standpoint. (Protestant and English came off the better, in case you're wondering.)

The love story. Oh, the love story. Honestly, I can't see it. I don't get it. One minute, Paul is a cantankerous blowhard who needs his ego stroked and his presence pandered too, and Lucy hates him (as I did), and then she finds herself in love with him and he with her...I just don't get this part of the book. That may be me, and you might enjoy the love story.

Also, the love story of Ginevra Fanshawe and Count Alfred de Hamal...priceless.

I enjoyed this book a lot, but then again I really love Victorian novels and the Brontes already, so I can't speak objectively on the merits of this book in particular. Nonetheless, I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment