Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mary, Queen of Scots (1971)

I sat down to watch this movie because I had an awful weekend and nothing, I repeat, nothing, makes me feel better like old movies. I have quite a collection, many from Half-Price Books and I love them. Here's why.


  1. First off, the sets are freaking real. This stuff is filmed on location, in actual centuries old castles. I firmly believe that you can feel that and I LOVE it. 
  2. Likewise, the rooms are always so small, and the lighting is always the same but it's just so perfect because its affectation is so genuine.
  3.  I feel about this the same way I do about 1968's Romeo and Juliet, you know? I absolutely love that the costumes look like costumes. Everything is so bright and vibrant and Technicolor and the lack of CGI is amazing. 
  4. And the acting! It's classic, that's what it is. I guess I like old movies like this because they just bring up warm, fuzzy nostalgic times. The people look like they are acting, it's like a play, only I'm watching it on a screen. I can't put my finger on it, but I love, love, love old movies like this one, and recommend you check out at least one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment