Monday, June 18, 2012

The Confession - The Borgias Season 2 Episode 10

*This review contains spoilers.*

Oh, my God, the season finale at last! Like I said in my last post, I really expected Juan's death to be the end of the second season, so when Micheletto and Cesare dumped Juan into the river, all my predictions went out the window...unless Juan, syphilitic, infected, one-legged, stabbed and crazy as he is, crawls out of the Tiber and, dripping wet, bloody and enraged, storms into the Vatican demanding Cesare's head....yeah, that's pretty unlikely.

Ooooh, it's on!
  • Wow, getting Savonarola to confess was certainly easy...oh, I see. That was gutsy, but I still hate him so much...mainly because he made a fool out of Cesare that one time back in Florence. And for the Bonfire of the Vanities. 
  • Uh-oh, what is Cesare going to tell Rodrigo? He can't tell him the truth...just chalk it up to Juan's many afflictions and vices? Unless someone finds the body with stab wounds on it...yikes!
  • And we have a visitor from....Spain? He looks Spanish to me...Ah, another suitor. Well, this is fun...though I'm not a fan of this Alphonso's eyebrows, his accent makes up for it. 
  • Oh, dammit, Antonello has more poison! I hope he gets it somehow before the episode is out. 
  • Micheletto's kind? Oh, "sodomites"...probably not a good idea to piss off your torturer, Savonarola. 
  • Oh, my goodness, Alphonso I love you! This guy is perfect! Oh, Lucrezia don't you hurt him! 
  • I have been looking forward to more Cesare and Machiavelli all season! Yes! Is he is suggesting forgery? Oh, I love this guy!
  • Rodrigo and Giovanni are so cute!
  • Oh, I am looking forward to the Alphonso/Lucrezia moment. Aw, I almost feel bad for poor Alphonos, knowing what he is getting himself into. This is too cute! Awwwww! Yes, marriage!!!! Woooooooo! I am so happy! :) :) :)
  • ...And there's a body? What did they do, dredge the Tiber? Is it him...no...so is Juan not dead? History shows us that the prevailing opinion is that Cesare did kill Juan...are they completely rewriting it? 
  • ...Guilia and Rodrigo are looking for Juan themselves? 
  • Oh, shit, did Savonarola just DIE? Okay, no, he lives...yeah, Cesare! ...Way to take care of business, Micheletto.
  • Uh-oh, haul from the river? I hope Rodrigo isn't the one to find Juan...uh-oh, I don't like the sound of this music...AAAAAAAAAAAAH! It is! Oh, holy shit, poor Rodrigo. 
  • Cesare doing a pretty badass walk, with the forged confession...and finding a mourning party...Oh, no, poor Cesare...
  • You go, Lucrezia! I feel bad for poor Rodrigo, but that was badass. And he's asking Cesare...oh, this is heartrending, but so beautiful. 
  • No burial? What's he going to do, make him some sort of Lenin-like shrine? 
  • Oh, my God, it's finally the end for Savonarola! I like that Micheletto is doing it in the end. And what is wrong with Cesare? He can't watch him burn, again? Oh, looking for Rodrigo.
  • Wait, why is he hesitating? What is he going to do? Oh, don't give him a chance to shout Cesare forged the confession! Oh, Rodrigo, don't go out there! Don't! Don't do it! Oh, he's offering absolution, okay - he did NOT just spit on the Pope! That bastard! At least he didn't tell Rodrigo anything about Cesare...epic music in this scene....So ends Savonarola. 
  • Oh no, Lucrezia don't ask if he killed Juan...oh, okay, a marriage proposal, I can deal with that, I like Alphonso. 
  • Cesare seems pretty certain Rodrigo will make him Gonfaloniere. Considering he's still sitting in a darkened room with Juan's body, I doubt this.  
  • So Rodrigo is going to fast until Juan's murdered is found? This is not going well...Oh, Cesare, oh no, you're gonna tell him? That is so brave, truly, but I don't think this is a good idea. Confession? Oh, Cesare, you are really dragging this out for poor Rodrigo. His speech is very moving, can't you validate him a little bit, Rodrigo? Oh, God, here it comes...oh, Cesare... Come on, Rodrigo, your other son is dead, give Cesare something. Release from vows, that's good, take the ring, take the ring...Oh, Rodrigo, come on...this was so emotional, I'm tearing up right now. 
  • I loved Cesare's dropping the cross, that was lovely...Bit anticlimactic to go to Vanozza and Lucrezia planning some papers. 
  • I really like Cesare being all in charge...(and not just because it's hot either)
  • Ah, yes, party! I'm really anticipating Rodrigo becoming a little unhinged after the blow of Juan's death and Cesare's part in it....And Juan's a little boy again...Oh, man, they're going to make me feel bad for wanting Juan dead. Aw, Rodrigo carrying little Juan is heartbreaking! Poor Juan! Poor Rodrigo! Is he just leaving him there? Oh, he's burying Juan with his own two hands, that just makes this all the more tragic. 
  • Oh, I love scenes like this! The epic music as we float by all the major characters...Cesare and Lucrezia dancing divinely and Alphonso and Vanozza look on...Rodrigo burying his favorite son, who's a man again. In the interest of full disclosure, I am so bawling my eyes out right now. 
  • ...Oh, dear, Rodrigo is crashing the engagement party...Cesare is going to handle it, I suppose, though how I'm not too sure. Well, this is one of history's more awkward conversations, I'm sure. Oh, shit, is that Antonello over there? Not now, you bastard! Oh, no, no, no!!!!! Don't drink it! No! No! Thank God! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He drank! Oh, no! 
  • Wait, wait, is he chastising Cesare? Telling him why Juan was the favored son? Oh, this is heartbreaking for poor Cesare! Aw! Oh, dear, God! If they end on Rodrigo chocking, so help me God! No, no! This is not happening! He can't die, not like this! Oh, no! Don't you dare! WHAT? WHAT?? NO! 
  •   *MAJOR SPOILER MAJOR SPOILER* I looked it up, and, historically, Juan died in 1497 and Rodrigo didn't die until 1503....so he can't be dead, but that was still one hell of an ending. *END OF SPOILER*
  • Oh, wow, this was an absolutely amazing finale. I think, historically, Cesare is supposed to be a bad guy, but I just can't think of him that way. He submits to the cardinal's robes, protects his family, does everything Rodrigo asks and more for approval or affection or love or something, and, still, Rodrigo prefers Juan...it just gets me. 
Anyway, this was the most heart-pounding hour of TV ever, and I recommend you watch it ASAP!

If you like my style of doing these, stay right here for tonight's episodes of True Blood and Falling Skies, between which I had a hard time choosing...but I figured True Blood  is an old favorite and it is The Borgias finale. 

Thanks for reading everybody! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment